The Lebanon Township Library, known locally as the Bunnvale Library is housed in the old Bunnvale School #9 building, constructed in 1915, designed by Peter C. Van Nuys. The school closed in June of 1954 but was used sporadically over the next ten years, closing permanently in June of 1963. The building was offered for sale in December of 1977 and the township of Lebanon obtained the building to use as a library. The building opened in November 1978 as a library.
High Bridge Public Library first opened on September 15, 1914 in a small building belonging to Taylor-Wharton. In 1938 the library was moved into the municipal building and in 1964 it was moved to the rooms, still in the municipal building, where it is located today.
The Holland Township Free Public Library Association was formed in the fall of 1964 and the first library opened in a small building on Church Road on November 29, 1965 and was staffed by volunteers. In 1966 the stock was moved to the present location, a building adjacent to the municipal garage. In 1998 the membership voted to include Alexandria Township in the Library Association and the name of the library was changed to reflect this decision.
The Hunterdon County Library System began as a system of about 160 "library stations," which were small collections of books housed in various places including general stores, post-offices and private homes. These small collections constituted "the library" for the local residents, as there was no actual library building to house the materials.
Early in 1934, the Hunterdon County Library Association was organized and the first public meeting of the association was on October 24th, 1934 with poet Robert Frost as its speaker.
The central library itself was first housed in the Courthouse in Flemington. It was not open to the public on a regular basis until 1957 when it moved to the former Flemington Garage on Spring Street. The library eventually outgrew this location and plans were made to construct the first county library building.
In 1972, the doors to the Headquarters of the Hunterdon County Library were officially opened. Since then, the library has continued to evolve to meet the changing needs of the community. Today, the Hunterdon County Library System consists of three main branches and seven affiliates, and the MAIN Consortium membership provides access to even more materials, programs and services.
The North County Branch first opened in July 1979 in a trailer on a site in Clinton that was formerly the Daz O'Dell. Seven years later the library moved to a storefront in the Grey Rock Plaza and three years later the library opened in Annandale Square where it remained for ten years. In 1999, a new branch was built in Clinton Town, incorporating the former Grandin Library, an endowment library that had been a vital part of Clinton Town for 101 years. The Grandin Library is honored in the North County Branch Library with a small conference room containing materials and furniture from the original library and furnished by the Friends of the Hunterdon County Library.
The library is housed in a building which was originally a train station designed by Bradford Gilbert, built in 1892. In the early 1970's the railroad discontinued the use of the building as a station and Readington Township negotiated with the Central Railroad of New Jersey to use the building as a library. The renovation of the library began in May 1981 and opened seven months later.
The South County Branch Library opened in 1987 in the trailer that was the original North County Branch and had been moved to the parking lot of the East Amwell Municipal Building. In March of 2002, the library moved to a building at the junction of Routes 179 and 31 in Ringoes, tripling their space, enabling them to add many programs and full library services. During the summer of 2012, the library moved four miles down the road to an inviting new building in West Amwell, bringing the library services to the southern part of the county. In October 2018, the library moved four miles back up the road to the building at the junction of Routes 179 and 31 in Ringoes.
The Tewksbury Township Library is located in a graceful Victorian era Mansion that has also serves as the township Community Center.
The Three Bridges Library, also located in Readington Township opened on September 15, 1985. During the mid-1990's, a deck was added to the library as part of a local Eagle Scout project. In August of 2004, a community room was added on the the library, adding space for storytimes, but also giving patrons a place to gather or a sunny place to sit and read.